Chicagoland Field Trips
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoons water
You will also need:
Plastic container lid (ex. lid from coffee can)
Cookie Sheet or board
Hole punch or drinking straw
- In pan over medium heat, cook gelatin and water. If you are making a solid color, add food coloring now. Stir constantly until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture into container lid placed on top of cookie sheet. Push any bubble toward the edge. (If you don't use a cookie sheet, it will have to stay on your counter until set!)
- To marbelize, add a few drops of food coloring here and there. Swirl with toothpick.
- Let dry until edges are hard, at least one day. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters or scissors. If you will be hanging the pieces, use the hole punch to make a hole (a large, blunt needle makes a smaller hole)
- Let dry until completely hard. To keep edges from curling, dry in a flower press or between Handiwipes stretched tightly in an embroidery hoop.
- Uncolored pieces may be colored when dry with permanent markers.
Plastic Light Catchers
Gelatin Sun Catchers
SFC Activities Scouting File Cabinet