Chicagoland Field Trips
Materials per project:
- 3 plastic grocery bags (any color except tan), thinner plastic makes a fluffier lei.
- 3 plastic straws
- heavyweight needle
- Cut 36" length of string (shorter for a haku, or head lei)
- Cut straws into 1-1 1/2" segments
- Cut as many 3 1/2" squares as possible out of each plastic bag
- put two squares together, fold or roll into cone (square to triangle, triangle in half and half twice more)
- Holding the point of the cone, cut opposite end into rounded shape
- Unfold the cone one time, and push threaded needle through the cone, halfway between the point and the cut edge.
- Repeat the process with more plastic squares, do not thread them too tightly, as you will need space to fluff them out
- You can fluff out the flowers as you go, but it's easier to wait until you are finished threading the flowers
- After 4 or 5 flowers, add a straw segment as spacer bead.
- Tie ends of string together when lei reaches the desired size.
- Fluff each flower, gently separating the flower layers.
You can also use tissue paper, but stay out of the rain!
Similar Project: Recycled Paper Lei
Scouting File Cabinet